Thursday, March 22

Trying to focus

Last night's performance was a bit of a catologue of errors. I'm not sure which was the funniest or most alarming. I got lost in the first scene (how bad is that?) and footnote (who has the unenviable job of prompting) had to feed the next line to the ginger one and so it looked like he was the knob. Cutwell, who had spent the day driving to Cwmbran and Wolverhampton (I think) had to be rescued by the ginger one when he dropped some lines. High priest managed to punctuate the beginning of one of footnote's pieces with 'hear me ye gods...'. The ginger one managed to walk on and cross the stage as footnote was starting another one of her pieces. I managed to hit the table to knock off the Duke of Sto Helit's hourglass as required... but so hard that Albert had to grab the table to stop it falling off the stage. Keli was late on for scene four to see her father get killed. Albert referred to me as 'DEATH, the bloke'. Town crier managed to kick the pyro as he went off so that it landed next to my feet. Oh and to top it all I forgot my best line...
I feel I have some kind of excuse as I spent three-quarters of an hour in the bar discussing whether the licensing issues with the premises supervisor, and later with him and previous producer. We were also discussing the absence of alcohol, in two respects, and the access and otherwise, to the bar for members of CAST. Not entirely the best way to focus for the start of the show. Shame really as I had enjoyed an excellent chilled out lunch with Albert.
I have also had some problems with the interior structure of the mask. The area around my chin collapsed on Tuesday night, and we fixed it, repositioned the mic and taped it in before the start yesterday. I didn't work. By the time I had walked on I was practically chewing it. It all ads to the amusement.

Thought for the day: 'Sylvia'. Now work that one out...

No comments: