Wednesday, March 7

Do you trust the media?

No, I'm not referring to my own publications. Nor am I referring to town crier's newspaper or any of the other weeklies around here currently being pelted with press releases and interviews by producer geezer.
I am of course referring to our potential honorary president and one or two articles reporting problems with her health and the preview shows for Treats in the West End.
It seems so strange that what seemed to be a perfectly successful production when we witnessed the last night at the Theatre Royal in Windsor should hit so many problems. I can see it's been a tough run so far. Two weeks at Windsor, then with just a break on each Sunday a run at Great Malvern, then Bath and finally Richmond. They had no break then before hitting the stage at the Garrick Theatre in London.
If you do believe the papers - and what is true is that the opening night has already been put back a week and may be put back further - then our Billie is having a pretty tough time of it. Poor health, stress, self doubt. Whatever is true, it seems like she has reached a crucial rubicon in her acting career.
Performing in a three-hander is demanding and this is her first theatre role as a leading lady. The irony is that her solo scene involves her sobbing her heart out deciding whether to call her boyfriend. The scene certainly gripped and drained me when I saw it and I should imagine it's pretty demanding to generate that level of traumatic effect time and time again.
Method acting is a serious business and if she is tapping into some daemons from her past to produce all those tears of despair then I could imagine she has got some pretty heavy shit floating arround in her head at the moment. Anyway, we shall wait to see. Personally I hope that they delay the opening night another three weeks until March 28 - to give her time to recover properly from whatever health problems she has - then I'll be able to get to the opening night with press tickets and review the show!

Thought for the day:
'I know the way that I want it to be
But you know that I'm gonna take my chance now
I'm gonna make it happen some how
And you know I can take the pressure
A moments wait for a life time treasure
Every girl wants you to be her boy
But I'll wait right here 'till it's my turn
I'm not the kinda girl who gives up just like that oh no'

The Tide Is High. Billie Piper. Walk Of Life.
Should have been her number one hit, but she opted out and so Atomic Kitten hit the top with it instead.

No comments: